Martlet Books
 

2011: The Lost Bible Completes its Long Journey Home

 

On 23 March 2011 the Bible owned by Richard Cook was returned to the homeland of its owner.

Since April 1918 the Bible has been in the possession of Herbert Hodgson and his descendants, in London and in nearby Crawley in Sussex. In 2010, following the discovery that the original owner of the Bible was Richard Cook of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Herbert Hodgson's family kindly decided to donate the Bible to a museum in New Zealand. It will be donated to the National Army Museum in a ceremony on 23 March 2011.

In January 2011 the Bible began its long journey home. It was first transferred from Bernard Hodgson (Herbert's second son) to his brother Ivor, who in turn gave it to his brother David, who will personally be handing over the Bible in New Zealand.

 

 

 

 

 23 January 2011 in Crawley, Sussex, England: Ivor Hodgson (left) receives the Bible from his brother Bernard (right).

 

 25 January 2011 in Chard, Somerset, England: David Hodgson (left) receives the Bible from his brother Ivor (right).

The Bible handover ceremony took place at the National Army Museum, Waiouru, North Island, New Zealand, on 23 March 2011, at 1.30pm. Representatives of the Hodgson and Cook families were present, as well as the New Zeakland press.

   
   

The photographs above show David Hodgson presenting the Bible (found by his father on the battlefield near Messines in 1918) to Colonel Ray Seymour, Director of the National Army Museum. The Bible is also shown in its open display case.

The return of the Bible was covered on TV1 and TV3 in New Zealand.

 

 

 
© 2016 Geoffrey M Hodgson. All rights reserved.
This website was built by Ewisoft Website Builder.